TISSUE (All Flex Tissue Tubes)
Antler core samples are collected from the base (hardest region) of hard antlers that have been shed. Do not use antlers still in velvet; the lab will not be successful in extracting DNA.
Plastic baggie (owner’s name, animal name, ear tag, year born)
10% bleach (1 part bleach to 9 parts water)
Variable Speed Drill with 1/8 to ¼ inch drill bit
Paper (need one sheet for each sample; do not reuse)
1. Label plastic baggie per instructions above.
2. Clean the drill bit of all antler core material with 10% bleach solutions. Preparation area must be cleaned of any antler core dust or shavings before and after each sample collection.
3. Place a plain sheet of clean paper on surface below antler sample. (Use a new sheet of paper for each sample.)
4. Grasp the antler firmly and drill slowly to a depth of ¼ to ½ inch. Using the slowest effective speed will prevent overheating of the sample. Avoid areas that are porous or contain air pockets.
5. Deposit the antler shavings into the labeled plastic baggie and ensure it is sealed completely.
© North American Deer Registry
1601 Medical Center Drive, Suite 1
Edmond, OK 73034
Office: (405) 513-7228
Fax: (405) 513-7238